When the ingredient of cheese was revealed I went straight to Pinterest to find a dessert with cheese. I didn't want to go with an ordinary cheese cake. I found this great recipe for a dark chocolate salted cheese cake using mascarpone instead of cream cheese. As I was reading the recipe, it reminded me of a dessert I made at Christmas. I decided to combine the two recipes to create my Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Delight. It was a great combination.
At the party everyone created a card for their dish and the voting was done by secret ballot at the end of the night. It was a fun idea for a party. We got to try so many different cheese dishes. I won for best dessert and tied for best overall dish. I was so excited. My prizes were a bottle of wine and a new colander...just what every kitchen needs.
e ahead of time if you're having a party to free up your kitchen the day of the party. This is definitely going to become a go to dessert.
Dark Chocolate Salted Caramel Delight
Adapted from: Little Sweet Baker and Kevin & Amanda
2 cups Oreo cookie crumbs
6 tbsp unsalted butter
½ cup cold whipping cream
275 grams softened mascarpone cheese (or 250 grams of cream cheese)
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbsp butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 cup whipping cream
1 cup whipping cream
8 oz dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
1 tbsp sea salt flakes
- Mix the cookie crumbs with the melted butter and press onto the bottom and sides of a 9" tart pan. Chill in freezer.
- Using a handheld mixer, whip the whipping cream till soft peaks form, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whip together the mascarpone, sugar and vanilla until incorporated. Add the whipped cream to the mixture and blend untill smooth. Pour over the chilled crust. Place back in freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Combine 4 tablespoons butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to bubble. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Slowly whisk in 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream until smooth. Cool caramel about 15 minutes.
- While caramel is cooling make the ganache. Place chocolate chips in a glass bowl. In a saucepan, bring 1 cup heavy whipping cream to a simmer over medium-high heat. Pour over chocolate chips and whisk until smooth. Let cool to touch and pour over frozen tart. Let it set for a few minutes, but don't let it harden too much. Drizzle caramel over the ganache and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- Before serving sprinkle with sea salt.