Wednesday, March 4, 2015

A Bug Birthday Party


Our little bug turned 1 in November and we celebrated with a Bug Bash. I wanted to do something small and simple with just family, but nothing is small with the Davis'.  There are too many of them.  I had a lot of fun planning and making things for the party.  After all of the princess parties I've helped with over the last few years, bugs were definitely a change.  

At first I was just going to do an Evite for the invitation.  As I was talking about it with someone at work, she reminded me that he only gets one first birthday.  She said I should do an invitation so that I'll have something to save.  Of course, this made me think that I had to make something buggy and cute.  

I did a back drop for the food table with "bug netting" and plastic bugs.  Some of the bugs looked so real it was creepy.  It was a good thing none of them fell in the food.
For his cake I made it baby friendly.  I was worried that having all that sugar when he had never had any would make him sick.  I found a recipe that was mostly bananas.  I decorated it to look like dirt.  The bugs are m&m's with chocolate legs. 

For everyone else, I made some chocolate cupcakes to match, along with some vanilla cupcakes. 


I kept the bug theme going with the silverware and food. 
spider napkin rings
snail sandwiches
fruit fly salad
butterfly salad
sweet nectar
I found some great bug fabric that I used to make his outfit and high chair decorations. 
He wasn't so sure about the cake at first...

But he definitely enjoyed the chocolate frosting and cake once he figured it out. 

It was a great party and it was nice to have the whole family there to celebrate with us. 






1 comment: